Monday, August 16, 2010

I DIDN'T LEAVE MY HEART IN SAN FRAN BUT ON OAK HARBOR


I'm here in Palo Alto, California just south of San Francisco. The weather is about the same as Whidbey Island so I feel right at home, overcast in the morning, sunny with a slight breeze in the afternoon, and cool at night. My kind of weather!

I had a great trip down. It was longer then I realized, 14 hours, but an easy ride. I went down most of the way on I-5. If your traveling down that road, there is a lot of construction so expect delays. The scenery was tremendous. Each part of the journey was very different. When you get into Oregon, your in the mountains with tall spruce and pines. Lovely lakes each turn of the road. California has the rolling, yellow gold grass hills for miles and miles, and then you come into a low valley with cattle and sheep farms, and fields of vegetables, and fruit trees. I stopped at a stand and bought peaches, pears and plums, plus "Washington Cherries". Had to come 800 miles for what I could get at home, oh well!

It is wonderful to see my cousin Barbara. She has been very ill this year and is recovering. She is an amazing person. She is a very special person, loving, giving, and has tremendous strength of character. She has been through a lot but doesn't give up. We have been close since we both were children. Her brother Chuck was my best friend growing up, and we all spent time together. Family is so important. I don't have anyone left in mine except for my cousins, and I cherish Barbara as my family. God gave us our families to help us to be truly who we are meant to be and to some times challenge us to be humble and forgiving. These are two attributes, I think, that are difficult but filled with grace.

Barbara is a middle school teacher, and we will go into her school this week and set up the bulletin boards. I remember helping teachers do this when I was in middle school. Should be fun! I like being teacher's pet, don't you.

We have Allison, Barbara's daughter's wedding shower on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting all her friends and family I haven't met before. It's been a long time since I went to a wedding shower.

I hope all is well at St. Stephen's and I am keeping you all in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment