Monday, August 9, 2010

SERVING GOD'S PEOPLE


This past week was really wonderful! I had so many opportunities to see St. Stephen's parishioners in action. One of the first conversations I had with this congregation was about the many ministries the congregation individually and corporately support both in the Diocese of Olympia and overseas. This past week I had an opportunity to see both individual outreach and our corporate outreach.

Wilma Patrick was kind enough to invite me to The Whidbey Hospital Auxiliary picnic and BBQ. The work this group has done is truly amazing. Forty years ago, they started with 20 volunteers. Over the years, the volunteer numbers have grown and they continue to encourage many to join. They have built a hospital, financed important medical equipment and programs and they are now beginning the work for a new hospital wing. Whidbey Hospital has become an important gift to Whidbey Island and their satellite facilities have added a much needed local resource. They need to expand their ability to serve this community and I know we will want to support that work. I learned a lot about the work of the hospital, and was treated to the auxiliary's hospitality. They were extremely warm and welcoming to me and I am grateful to Wilma for giving me this opportunity to meet them.

Saturday, I had another wonderful experience. I went down to our "Apostle's Build" for Habitate for Humanity. There I saw many of our parishioners working away. There were others from the community also helping. They were putting up wall board that day. On Sunday, many of the workers came to church with arms raised to praise God from holding up wall board. I also met the new owner of the house. What a wonderful woman. She has helped on many other houses, and now she will have a new home for herself and her two sons. God is good!

I leave for vacation this Friday and I will take with me the many gifts I have received from this parish. I will take my pride in the services people offer to others. I will take with me a sense of being home on this Island and in this congregation. I will also carry all of you with me and keep you in my daily prayers as I know I will be in yours. I'll take Charlie with me for the first leg of the journey, but he will be staying at the "North 40" of George and Vicki Churchills from August 25th to September 3rd. Give him a hug for me while I'm gone. SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER!

No comments:

Post a Comment